Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket


Buy with confidence and security!
Publishing historical art since 1985

Don't Miss Any Special Deals - Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
Product Search         
ALWAYS GREAT OFFERS :
20% FURTHER PRICE REDUCTIONS ON HUNDREDS OF LIMITED EDITION ART PRINTS
BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE ON THOUSANDS OF PAINTINGS AND PRINTS
FOR MORE OFFERS SIGN UP TO OUR FREE NEWSLETTER

Avro 504N Aviation Prints


Cranston Fine Arts Aviation Art and Artists Inter War Period Aircraft Avro 504N

[UP] - Airspeed Courier - Ant-20 - Avro 504N - B-10 - Boeing 314 - Bulldog - Condor - Coronado - Curtiss CR-3 - Curtiss MB-2 - Curtiss NC - Curtiss R3C-2 - DC3 - Dragon Rapide - DT-2 - Electra - F3F - Fairey IIID - Fairey IIIF - FB5 - Fury - Gipsy Moth - Hart - Hind - Horsley - HP42 - Iris - Jenny - M-130 - Mailwing - Mew Gull - Norseman - Peashooter - Ryan M-1 - S-42 - S6B - SM55X - SNJ - Sparrowhawk - Tigermoth - Trimotor - Vega - Wallace - Walrus


Avro 504N Aviation Prints

Chasing the Flying Scotsman by John Young

Chasing the Flying Scotsman by John Young
This single edition is sold out.



Text for the above items :

Chasing the Flying Scotsman by John Young

In 1929, Cranwells Flight Cadets flew the Avro 504N biplane with a top speed of about 100mph and it was on one of these that Douglas Bader soloed for the first time on 12th February 1929. Railway lines were useful references on these and the RAF College Cranwell was only a few minutes in the air from the East Coast Main Line. Down this line came the crack expresses of the LNER, some drawn by the companys latest express locomotive, the A1 Class, which had a similar top speed to the Avro.


Avro 504N
Pilot and aircrew signature details

No signatures available to display for this aircraft

Avro 504N
Squadron details



1FTS
Country : UK


1FTS

The ‘Trenchard memorandum’ on the future organization of the Royal Air Force, which was presented to Parliament in December 1919, included a requirement to establish 6 ‘training wings’ by 1922-23. The first of these, then known as the Netheravon Flying School, had already been formed on 29 July 1919 at Netheravon on Salisbury Plain. It was this unit which, appropriately, was renamed No 1 Flying Training School on 23 December 1919. It was not until March 1921 that the first ab-initio course of short-service RAF officers assembled at Netheravon for a course lasting around a year. During the ‘junior term’, pupils received instruction on the rotary-engined Avro 504K, moving on to ‘Service types’ such as the DH9A and Bristol Fighter during the ‘senior term’. No 1 Naval Pilots Course, comprising 51 Naval and 9 Royal Marine officers, assembled on 16 June 1924. This course lasted 6 months, after which the trainees moved to Gosport or Leuchars to complete advanced training on aircraft types used by the Fleet Air Arm. Thereafter, training of RAF officers and airman pilots continued alongside the Naval Pilots Courses. In early 1928, training of pilots for the Fleet Air Arm was transferred to RAF Training Base Leuchars. Also in 1928, the old Avro 504Ks were replaced by the improved Avro 504N, and the DH9As were replaced by new Armstrong Whitworth Atlas aircraft. However, the British Government’s policy of disarmament and retrenchment in public expenditure led to the disbanding of No 1 Flying Training School with effect from 1 February 1931. On 1 April 1935, No 1 Flying Training School again came into existence by the simple expedient of re-naming RAF Training Base Leuchars. The School continued to provide ab-initio pilot training for Naval and Royal Marine officers and also for small numbers of Army officers who were destined for the RAF’s army co-operation squadrons, using the Avro 504N, soon replaced by the Avro Tutor, and the Hawker Hart, Osprey and Nimrod. Training was also given in deck-landing and launching by catapult. The School also provided short conversion courses to RAF pilots who were posted to the Fleet Air Arm. In August 1938, the School moved back to its original home of Netheravon. In summer 1939, the School was partly re-equipped with the Harvard and, on the outbreak of war, was re-titled ‘No 1 Service Flying Training School’. During 1940, the Battle ‘Trainer’, a two-seat adaptation of the basic Battle light bomber, replaced the Harvard for training the fighter pilots required by the Fleet Air Arm. The School was progressively expanded until, in October 1940, the student establishment reached 200, generating a flying task of around 4000 hours per month. In July 1941, the Unit started to re-equip with the Miles Master III. However, time was running out for the School’s tenure of Netheravon. The vast majority of flying training was being moved to safer skies overseas, and Netheravon was needed for airborne forces units. Thus the training task at Netheravon was wound down and the School disbanded on 7 March 1942. No 1 Flying Training School made a brief reappearance in 1947, when No 17 Flying Training School at Spitalgate, equipped with the Harvard T2, was renamed. The first course to graduate comprised 21 Dutch cadets, who received their wings from HRH Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands at a Passing-Out Parade on 24 September 1947. However, due to changes in policy, the School was disbanded again in February 1948. No 1 Flying Training School was reformed on 1 December 1950 at Oakington, near Cambridge and equipped with the Harvard T2 to provide refresher courses to re-entrant pilots. It subsequently also trained ex-UAS cadets, as well as RAFVR and National Service pilots. By July 1951, the pupil population had grown to around 140. However, Oakington was needed for a jet advanced flying school, so No 1 Flying Training School moved to Moreton-in-Marsh in Gloucestershire in October1951. In 1952 the unit became responsible for ‘all through’ training of regular direct-entrant pupil pilots using the Percival Prentice T1 and the Harvard T2. This came to an end when the School was disbanded on 20 April 1955. However, No 1 Flying Training School was reformed only 10 days later on 1 May 1955 when No 22 Flying Training School at Syerston in Nottinghamshire was re-numbered. The new No 1 Flying Training School was equipped with the Percival Provost T1 and was responsible for the basic stage of flying training for Royal Navy and Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (RNVR) pilots. The successful pupils proceeded to No 7 Flying Training School at Valley for advanced training on jets. The training of RNVR pilots was terminated in January 1957. In October 1957, No 1 Flying Training School moved to Linton-on-Ouse, where it was joined in January 1958 by a squadron of Vampires from Valley to provide ‘all-through’ training of Naval fixed-wing pilots to ‘wings’ standard. The Provost T1 was replaced from October 1960 by the Jet Provost T3 and, later, the Jet Provost T4. A squadron of Chipmunk T10 was added to provide elementary training of Navy helicopter pilots. Latterly, the Vampires were used for training RAF and Foreign & Commonwealth students, before being transferred to No 7 Flying Training School at Church Fenton in 1966. Following the cancellation in 1966 of the Navy’s replacement fixed-wing carriers, Naval fixed-wing pilot training was run down and in November 1967 No 1 Flying Training School once again started to provide basic flying training for RAF pilots. The last Naval fixed-wing course graduated in July 1969. Later that year, the Chipmunk training was also transferred to Church Fenton. The ab-initio training of Naval fixed-wing pilots did not recommence until 1976, when three Royal Navy students completed the Jet Provost course at No 1 FTS and received their ‘wings’. The Jet Provost T5 replaced the Jet Provost T4 from 1970. In 1984, control of the Royal Navy Elementary Flying Training Squadron at Topcliffe, equipped with the Bulldog T1, was transferred to No1 Flying Training School. In 1985, Messrs Airwork Ltd took over responsibility for engineering and supply functions at Linton-on-Ouse in place of RAF personnel; this contract is currently held by Babcock. The first Tucano course started the flying phase in January 1993 and the last Jet Provost course graduated in June of that year. In July 1993, the Royal Navy Elementary Flying Training Squadron at Topcliffe closed, its task transferred to the contractor-run Joint Elementary Flying Training Squadron. However, from 1995 the Government’s Defence Cost Study ‘Front Line First’ led to substantial changes. The Joint Elementary Flying Training Squadron moved from Topcliffe to Barkston Heath in April 1995, while later that year, the Tucano elements of the Central Flying School from Scampton and No 6 Flying Training School from Finningley were transferred to No 1 Flying Training School. From 1996, the basic pilot training task hitherto carried out on the Tucano at Cranwell and Linton-on-Ouse was amalgamated at No 1 Flying Training School, which thus became the sole RAF operator of the Tucano. In 2002, the two basic pilot training squadrons at Linton-on-Ouse were awarded reserve squadron status as No 72 (Reserve) Squadron and No 207 (Reserve) Squadron. In 2007, the Tucano Air Navigation Squadron followed suit to become No 76 (Reserve) Squadron. In the early part of 2008, No 1 FTS played host to HRH Prince William, who undertook a period of flying on the Tucano with No 227 Course as part of a tailored course leading to the award of his ‘wings’. (text by MOD)


4FTS
Now. Elementary Flying Training, fast jet students from the Royal Air Force and the Fleet Air Arm of the Royal Navy


4FTS

On 1 April 1921, No 4 Flying Training School opened at Abu Sueir in Egypt to train pilots, primarily for squadrons based in the Middle East Between 1935 and 1936, the expansion of the RAF in line with the increasing tensions in Europe led to major changes in how the RAF delivered flying training. Civilian flying training organisations were used to provide basic flying instruction, while the Service schools focused on the more advanced training. On 1 September 1939, two days before war was declared in Europe, it moved to Habbaniya airfield in Iraq. The school moved to a war footing, forming 'Y' Operational squadron to defend against air attack.[1] Because of its location, few aircrew students were sent out from the UK, and the school had to recruit from the Middle and Far East. After completing the course, pupils were sent to Abu Sueir for further training or directly to operational squadrons in theatre. In February 1940 the school was renamed No. 4 Service Flying Training School, to differentiate it from an Elementary Flying Training School. The School also took on further training of Observers and air gunners, in line with requirements. By Spring 1941, other training schemes were beginning to produce sufficient pilots, and it was decided to close the school in September. However, the political situation in Iraq deteriorated, and the School was forced to fight. Main article: Anglo-Iraqi War § Siege of Habbaniya A rebel coup in Baghdad resulted in a British deployment in Basrah to protect Iraqi oil resources. The rebels began to gather troops and artillery south of Habbaniya airfield. The School's instructors combined with the more experienced pupils to man the aircraft and weaponise them. On 2 May 1941, the School attacked the enemy positions. The battle for Habbaniya lasted 5 days, during which the School's aircraft had flown 584 sorties, fired 100,000 rounds and dropped 45 tonnes of bombs on the enemy, finally forcing the rebel forces to retreat. Their overall contribution to the situation in Iraq led to the recapture of Baghdad by British forces, and during the emergency which lasted almost a month, 4 SFTS flew 1605 operational sorties, the majority crewed by student pilots. By June, the aircraft were redeployed elsewhere and on 1 July 1941, the School was disbanded On 3 February 1947, No 4 FTS reformed at Heany, near Bulawayo in what was Southern Rhodesia, using Avro Ansons, Tiger Moths and Harvards. By 1948, the School's role of training both pilots and navigators had become unworkable, and navigation training was moved to the new No. 3 Air Navigation School at Thornhill in Rhodesia, along with their Anson aircraft. In October 1949, the Air Council mandated changes to the status of cadets, and officer training became a part of the syllabus. Upon completion, those who qualified for their wings and met officer quality standards were commissioned. By November 1950 all pilot and navigator candidates were commissioned before they started their flying training as Acting Pilot Officers, and received full commissions upon gaining their wings. In October 1953, the final passing out parade took place, and the School disbanded again on 26 January 1954.


No.54 Sqn RAF
Country : UK
Known Codes : , KL, DL, HF,


No.54 Sqn RAF

Audax omnia perpeti - Boldness to endure anything

No. 54 Squadron was formed on the 5th of May 1916 at Castle Bromwich. The squadron was equipped with BE2C's and Avro 504's and was part of the home defence force. Shortly after 54 squadron changed to day fighter duties and moved to France then equipped with Sopwith Pups. Their role was to escort bombers and attack observation balloons. Near the end of the great war 54 squadron was re -quipped with Sopwith Camels and tasked with ground attack as well as fighter sorties. In February 1919, the squadron returned to RAF Yatesbury and on 2nd October 1919 54 squadron was disbanded. On the 15th of January 1930, 54 squadron was reformed at RAF Hornchurch as a fighter squadron equipped initially with Siskin aircraft. The Siskins were subsequently replaced with Bulldog fighters and in September 1936 54 squadron was re-equipped with Gloster Gauntlets and in April 1937, they recieved Gloster Gladiators. In March 1939 the squadron recieved the new Supermarine Spitfire. After the outbreak of world war two, 54 Squadron was given the duties of patrolling the Kent coast, until having to support and give air cover to the evacuation of Dunkirk in May and June 1940. The squadron was heavily involved during the Battle of Britain until November 1940 and after the Battle of Britain had ceased the squadron moved in November 1940 to RAF Castletown where its duties were coastal patrols. In June 1942 the squadron moved to RAF Wellingore to prepare for the squadron moving to Australia. In January 1943 54 squadron joined No.1 Wing of the Royal Australian Air Force. The Spitfires of the squadron were given the role of air defence duties against Japanese air attacks in the Darwin area. After the war had ended 54 squadron was disbanded in Melbourne on the 31st of October 1945, although the squadron name continued when on the 15th of November 1945 No.183 Squadron was renumbered 54 Squadron and flew initially Hawker Tempests. Taking up jet aircraft, the squadron subsequently used Vampires, Meteors, Hunters, Phantom and Jaguars before disbanding on 11th March 2005. 54 Squadron reformed on 5th September 2005 as an ISTAR (Intelligence Surveillance, Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance ) unit equipped with Sentry, Nimrod and Sentinel aircraft.



No.602 Sqn RAF
Country : UK
Disbanded 10th March 1957
Known Codes : , LO, ZT, DU,


No.602 Sqn RAF

City of Glasgow (Auxiliary)

Cave leonem cruciatum - Beware the tormented lion

We have been informed by pilot Ian Blair about one of the aircraft of this squadron : The Spitfire MkVII had the Squadron markings of 312 Sqdn (DU-G) but the aircraft was on the strength of 602 Sqn. and was inherited by 602 Sqn from the Station Flight at Skae Bray, after 312 Sqn had left the area. The time span did not permit the ground personnel sufficient time to paint new letters on the aircraft. This fact has led to the incorrect assumption that I, the pilot of the aircraft, was a member of 312 Sqn.



No.603 Sqn RAF
Country : UK
Disbanded 10th March 1957
Known Codes : , XT, RL,


No.603 Sqn RAF

City of Edinburgh (Auxiliary)

Gin ye daur - If you dare

No 603 Squadron was formed on 14 October 1925 at Turnhouse as a day bomber unit of the Auxiliary Air Force. Originally equipped with DH9As and using Avro 504Ks for flying training, the squadron re-equipped with Wapitis in March 1930, these being replaced by Harts in February 1934. On 24 October 1938, No 603 was redesignated a fighter unit and flew Hinds until the arrival of Gladiators at the end of March 1939. Within two weeks of the outbreak of war in September 1939, the squadron began to receive Spitfires and passed on its Gladiators to other squadrons during October. It was operational with Spitfires in time to intercept the first German air raid on the British Isles on 16 October, when it destroyed the first enemy aircraft to be shot down over Britain in the Second World War. It remained on defensive duties in Scotland until the end of August 1940, when it moved to southern England for the remaining months of the Battle of Britain, returning to Scotland at the end of December. In May 1941, the squadron moved south again to take part in sweeps over France until the end of the year. After a further spell in Scotland, No.603 left in April 1942 for the Middle East where its ground echelon arrived early in June. The squadron's aircraft were embarked on the US carrier 'Wasp' and flown off to Malta on 20 April to reinforce the fighter defences of the beleaguered island. After nearly four months defending Malta, the remaining pilots and aircraft were absorbed by No.229 Squadron on 3 August 1942.



No.822 Sqn FAA
Country : UK


No.822 Sqn FAA





Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Cookie Policy
Privacy Policy

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Email: cranstonorders -at- outlook.com

Return to Home Page